College basketball is back! Thank goodness.
The 12th ranked Cincinnati Bearcats Men’s Basketball team tipped off the season against the Savannah State on Friday afternoon at BB&T Arena down in Northern Kentucky. UC rolled to a 107-77 win.
Lots to takeaway from this game but just glad that they won the game and no injuries.
Thoughts on the win:
- The three-point defense was not the best. Going into the game we knew that the Tigers love to shoot the three ball and they weren’t shy about how far they were going to jack the ball. They hit 13 /44 from the three-point line. They missed a lot of shots where they weren’t contested so there’s room to improve in that area.
- When UC was struggling in the beginning, Junior point guard Justin Jenifer came off the bench and provided the spark. Jenifer had 15 points, 5 assists on 6-12 shooting from the field. He looks like totally different player and he’s going to be key for this team if they want to get far in March. His play today is hopefully a sign of things to come and lets hope he shows up in the big games coming up in the next month.
- Gary Clark joins the 1,000 point club! Congrats to problem! Clark had a very “Gary Clark” efficient game. 13 points, 11 rebounds on 5-9 shooting from the field. He should average a double-double in his senior year.
- Junior Jacob Evans led the team in scoring with 19 points, 7 rebounds on 7-15 shooting. Good game by Jake, we need him to be consistent because he’s going to be our go to guy down the stretch when we need a key bucket.
- Cane Broome’s debut as a Bearcat went good. He scored 17 points, 4 assists, 4 rebounds on 6-11 shooting. He had the three point ball working for him. The turnovers will be an area Broome needs to work on because he plays the game so fast that they will happen. Needs to just relax and not try to force it.
- Kyle Washington had a bad game. He was taken off the court for Nysier Brooks two minutes into the game. The zone was giving him fits and he only had 5 points on 2-3 shooting while only playing 16 minutes. Need to have him on the floor and effective. He’ll bounce back.
- Jarron Cumberland had 10 points, 7 rebounds, 5 assists on 4-11 shooting. The talented Freshman coming off the bench in Trevor Moore and Keith Williams provided Bearcats fans on what to expect from then in the next couple of years. Moore hit a long three pointer with seconds left in the first half, finished the game with 8 points. Williams had 10 points on 5-12 shooting, he’s very athletic and can shoot and get to the rim.
- Jenifer’s spectacular game.
- Clark’s double-double and hitting the 1,000 point mark.
- Lots of points.
- Evans leading the way and Cane’s effective debut.
- 20 turnovers on offense
- Sloppy play at times including during the stretch in the 2nd half when the Tigers cut the Bearcats halftime lead from 20 to 8.
- Washington a non factor.
- The zone continues to give this team fits but it’s all good.
- Three point defense.
- 12-24 from the free throw line. 50 percent. Not good.
UC will take on Western Carolina on Monday night at 7pm. Game will be at home aka BB&T Arena where its the Cats temporary home for the 2017-2018 season while Fifth Third Arena gets its much-needed renovation.
Follow us on Twitter: http://Twitter.com/cincyvseveryone
Like us on Facebook: http://Facebook.com/cincyvseveryone