Thoughts On UC’s NCAA Tournament First Round Win Over Kansas State
Never a doubt.
The Cincinnati Bearcats Men’s Basketball team started off the NCAA Tournament right with a solid first round win over the Kansas State Wildcats on Friday night in Sacramento, California, 75-61.
UC’s victory gave the team 30 wins for the season. 30-5. It’s the first NCAA tournament victory since beating Purdue in 2015 (First round).
Highlights and reactions:
Thoughts on the win:
- Senior Troy Caupain knows what time it is. He scored 23 points, 7 rebounds and two assists on 7-10 from the field. When Troy is playing and scoring like this, the sky is the limit for this team. I expect this to continue for him on Sunday and beyond. He’s locked him.
- Kyle Washington played really well scoring 16 points on 5-6 shooting. He did get into foul trouble in the first half but thankfully it didn’t hurt the team. But when Kyle is on the floor and scoring like this, offense is on point.
- Gary Clark continues to beast it up. 15 points and 7 rebounds.
- Jacob Evans didn’t score a lot but he was very active in the defensive and also passing the ball very well. 9 points, 5 assists, 4 rebounds and 3 big time blocks. That’s a very nice stat line for him and I expect him to score more than 9 points on Sunday .
- Freshman Jarron Cumberland scored 9 points on 4-5 shooting off the bench and not afraid being this was his first NCAA tournament appearance.
- UC’s defense held Kansas State to 38.9 percent shooting from the field. Even tho their best player had 3 fouls in the first half and it rattled the offense a bit, the Wildcats were still relatively in it.
- UC’s offense shoots 62.8 percent for the game. It’s nice to have an offensive team for once in the tournament.
- Throughout the game I was still nervous and my face was hot even though we controlled the game from opening tip-off.
- When the team went to the locker room after the game, there was no celebrating and nobody smiling. That’s when you know they are locked in and focused.
Business win. On to Sunday to face either UCLA or Kent State, it will be likely the Bruins I like this team and I still think their best game is still out there but this win was a complete effort.
Just keeping winning. One game at a time.
Follow us on twitter @CincyvsEveryone.